Crispy Tofu That Even Tofu-Haters Will Love
My wife Vanessa kind of, sort of, really dislikes tofu. But since we’replant-based eaters, I wanted to try making it so delicious she couldn’t resist. I marinated it for two days in soy sauce, water, sugar, chilli garlic sauce, lemon juice, hoisin sauce, and garlic, and the results were magical.
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chilli garlic sauce
- 1 dash lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Cut the tofu into flat, rectangular pieces and set aside.
- In a marinade container, combine all of the remaining ingredients except the corn starch and cumin.
- Place your tofu slices in the mix and add more water if you need to cover the top of the tofu.
- Put in the fridge for one or two days.
- When ready to cook, mix the cornstarch and cumin together in a bowl.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Dip the tofu slices in the cornstarch mixture, covering both sides.
- Pan-fry each slice until crispy.
- These really hit the spot—super flavorful, crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside. Yum. And yes, even Vanessa loved them.