We were looking to create a light, refreshing salad at Cold Tea Restaurant in Vancouver, so we created our own twist on a classic Chinese dish.
Smashed Cucumber Salad
Part A (vinaigrette)
- 150 millilitres white wine vinegar
- 50 millilitres rice vinegar
- 100 millilitres mirin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Part B (vegetable)
- 1 English cucumber peeled lengthwise, leaving some skin
Part C (garnish)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 20 grams julienned red pepper
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- Mix together the ingredients in part A and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Cut the cucumber (part B) in half lengthwise and lightly smash it with the heel of your palm.
- Cut the cucumber again lengthwise, and then cut it one-inch on a bias (an angle) to make diamond chunks.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cucumber and let it marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the salad to a deep plate and garnish with the remaining ingredients from part C.