Part C (garnish)
Smashed Cucumber Salad: A Tangy Summer Dish
Words by Thien Vuong
We were looking to create a light, refreshing salad atCold Tea Restaurant in Vancouver, so we created our own twist on a classic Chinese dish.
Smashed Cucumber Salad
Part A (vinaigrette)
- 150 millilitres white wine vinegar
- 50 millilitres rice vinegar
- 100 millilitresmirin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Part B (vegetable)
- 1 English cucumber peeled lengthwise, leaving some skin
Part C (garnish)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 20 grams julienned red pepper
- 5 sprigs cilantro
- Mix together the ingredients in part A and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Cut the cucumber (part B) in half lengthwise and lightly smash it with the heel of your palm.
- Cut the cucumber again lengthwise, and then cut it one-inch on a bias (an angle) to make diamond chunks.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cucumber and let it marinate for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the salad to a deep plate and garnish with the remaining ingredients from part C.
Let’s Talk: An Interview with Gossip Columnist Lainey Lui
As the world emerges from the pandemic, gossip columnist and television personality Lainey Lui is ready to dish on all of it.READ MORE
The Greatest Indoors: An Interview with Interior Designer Jake Arnold
Jake Arnold’s dramatic yet inviting work has earned him a reputation as the go-to interior designer for the Hollywood crowd. Now, with the launch of a new digital design platform, he’s giving people global access to the celebrity treatment.READ MORE
Literal Masterpieces Actual Things: An Interview with Painter Andy Dixon
Painter Andy Dixon’s self-aware musings on wealth and culture have made him a darling of the contemporary art world. Step inside his Los Angeles studio.READ MORE
Three Chefs Share Filipino Recipes to Make at Home
Each views Philippine cuisine through a different lens.READ MORE